Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Once More Into the City

This morning at Madison Square Park, Caelyn's favorite children's band, Audrarox. was playing a show.  I decided to surprise her with a trip into the city to see them.  All I told her was that we would be spending the day in the city.  She didn't know what we were going to do.  Despite being bugged mercilessly, I wouldn't tell her.  I was determined it would be a surprise.

As we walked into Madison Square Park, Caelyn asked if we were going to the playground.  She loves the playground there.  She seemed a bit disappointed but took it well when I told her no and we walked past it.  It was then she saw the stage.

After dropping off the stroller, we found a place close to the front.  Caelyn looked up at the stage and stopped short.  "It's Audrarox", she yelled at me as she saw who was behind the stage.  She got excited when I told her that is who we were there to see.

I had picked an open spot near the stage as I knew Caelyn would be heading to the very front as soon as possible.  I wanted to be able to keep an eye on her.  She kept telling me she wasn't close enough and I assured her she could go as soon as the show started.  Finally, I just let her go as she was getting anxious.

When she got near the stage, Audra was walking up.  Caelyn waved and Audra walked over toward her.  I don't know what they talked about but at one point Audra pointed out Caelyn's Ramones shirt.  Audra gave Caelyn a hug and walked on stage.

The nice thing about Audrarox is that they actually do rock.  They are very good musicians who play various styles of music well.  If you never heard the lyrics, you would have no idea the music was intended for kids.  It's a show that the adults can enjoy which is good considering this would be the 5th time we have seen them.

The show started.  Caelyn started dancing.  During the first song, Caelyn ended up on the mic for a little bit.  The rest of the show, Caelyn spent running, jumping and dancing.  At one point it looked as if she was trying to start in miniature mosh pit.



Caleb was not as thrilled.  He had woken up early this morning (6 am) and when 10:30 (the show's start time) rolled around, he was hot, sweaty and tired.  Unfortunately, he decided that being attached to me was the way to make himself feel better.  This only added to him sweating and getting more and more cranky.  He did end up dancing around by the end of the show but I don't think he had all that great of a time.

Once the show was over, I loaded up the kids in the double stroller and walked downtown to my old workplace to say hi.  I have kept in touch with some of the people from the office but several years had passed since I had actually been there.  The core of the company was still the same and I saw some old friends.  The kids were quiet and shy for about two minutes then started to take over the place.

After the office visit, I took the kids to a nearby pizza place I used to frequent.  Sitting outside in back of the place, I was reminded that while our local pizza place in Jersey is very good, it is still not New York pizza.  The kids pigged out and we headed back to the van.
The return home was uneventful.  Caleb had fallen asleep in the stroller on the ride back to the van and never woke as I placed him in his car seat.  Even Caelyn fell asleep during the drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment