Sunday, June 6, 2010

Guitar Lesson

I am a terrible musician. I mean awful. I would say godawful but there is a band that I like by that name and I wouldn't want to insult them.

Perhaps if I actually practiced I might get better but with the two little ones, practice time is limited. As it stands now, when working on a song, I move from something that is incomprehensible to something that sounds like a song being played badly. I consider that progress.

Fortunately, what I lack in ability I can make up for in volume and distortion. So essentially, I play very bad, very loud music which is exactly what my wife would say I listen to.

I am proficient in badly playing acoustic and electric guitar, bass and a drum machine. Actually, I can get some really good beats out of the drum machine. So what if it came pre-programed, I am.the one who hit play.

Playing around with the guitar last night, I was joking about my playing when my daughter said, "Daddy, I like your playing even though you are not very good."  I started to laugh. 

She decided that what I needed were some lessons.  Thing is, she had decided that she was the one to give the lessons.  So she marched me over to where her guitar is kept.  It's a small scale electric with a body shaped like a gold fish.  She calls it her fishtar.

I asked her if she wanted me to plug her in.  She did.  So she sat on the floor with her fishtar coaching me how to play. 

She said I needed some rock lessons and that I should play what she did.  She would correct me if I played faster or slower than her.  I had to match her rhythm or else she would stop the lesson and tell me to do what she was doing.

Once the lesson was over, she decided to play a little bit more for us.  Fortunately, we had the foresight to get out the Flip and record a little of it.  So for your enjoyment, click on the link below for a clip of Caelyn demonstrating how to rock.

 Caelyn's Rock Demonstration

No comments:

Post a Comment