Friday, June 4, 2010

Sick at the Zoo

Today is painful. Today I feel like I used to feel every Saturday when I was younger and I swore I would never drink again. Sadly, I don't feel this way because I did drink again but because something I ate yesterday decided it didn't like me at about two am. I will spare you the details but I never really got to go back to sleep.

No day is good to get sick, especially with young children.  They don't really understand when mommy and daddy are sick. They understand when they are sick, but not when mommy and daddy are. Even if they did understand, food still needs to be made, diapers changed, etc. There is no taking a sick day with children.

Today was also the day of Caelyn's school trip to the zoo. It is something she has been looking forward to for a while. There was no way I would deny her that.

I got up early to make sure I could keep food down, took some medicine to keep me upright and started getting things ready for the trip.

Turtleback Zoo is probably the perfect size for small kids. It is small but not too small. It only takes a couple of hours to see everything, more if you want to ride the train, the carousel or a pony. However, it was built on a hillside. So there I was pushing Caleb and his stroller up hills in 87 degree weather while Caelyn is running around with her classmates.

For her part, Caelyn had a lot of fun. She loves her schoolmates and running around the zoo with them was a great time for her. We spent about 3 1/2 hours at the zoo. I felt awful the whole time. All I wanted to do was go home and go to bed. However, watching her play with her friends and the smile on her face, there is no other place I would have chosen to be than right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment